Wednesday, August 29, 2007

august of the peach

In the last two years I have learned that I must be cautious about the fruits that I choose to eat. I have been learning that some of my health problems or debacles have been an adverse response to chemicals and various foods. It is to my own discomfort that I choose to eat pineapple, avocado, banana, coconut, cantaloupe, or strawberries. Through the summer this seems to be a bit of a cross to bear. This summer I have discovered I can eat peaches. I can eat peaches, smell peaches, and dream of peaches until all of life is, well, 'just peachy'. As Nicki noted while I sat in the yard smelling that morning's peach - "There is nothing like the smell of a ripe peach, the candles don't smell anything like 'em." (Candles, by the way, specifically most scented candles, are one of the chemicals that I react to.) So this month's sweet song of the peach is ending- just as all of nature ebbs and flows, so must my joy of having a fruit that I can enjoy with no fear of the consequences.

No comments: