Friday, August 17, 2007

beaten by ratatouille

My claim to point supremacy regarding supper points has been short-lived. We have developed the formal point system with 2 points being given for each leftover used and 1 point for each vegetable from the garden. Even with my efforts to weight the leftovers, my Dad's ratatouille this evening surpassed my chicken/black bean/green chili stuff of a week ago. With three types of peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, and the leftover hamburgers from last weekend, Dad's 8 point concoction beat my 7 points. Dad probably deserves an extra point for his nod to this summer's Disney movie - but it's not going to come from me.

After the storm on Monday night, I collected a five gallon bucket of wind-fall apples from Grandma and Grandpa's. (wind-driven-into-the-ground is more accurate) We sat in front of Little House on the Prairie for over 2 hours peeling and dicing apples. We cried through each episode as it is only appropriate to cry at Little House. We laughed at the quaintness of mother and daughter sitting peeling apples and watching the Ingalls on the DVDs borrowed from the library.

This was a fraction of the apples - Grandma and Grandpa had already processed gallons and I loaded most of the storm apples into a 45 gallon trash bucket and two additional five gallon buckets because they were already most of the way to applesauce. I also got to pick up pine branches and drive around on the lawn tractor, this was only notable because I was wearing a broom-stick skirt. It turns out there is no lady-like way to drive a lawn tractor while wearing a broom-stick skirt.

1 comment:

S.B.G. said...

yeah for DVD's that bring us the classic series such as Little House on the Prairie! Especially when we can watch with family or friend and cry together over them :-)