Sunday, August 05, 2007

by His wounds


The process of healing from the wounds of my life has been a long one, but the depth of the healing has been more complete than I had imagined possible. Through this process and the moments of wondering - 'where was God when I being beaten, bruised, and battered?' I had settled on the fact that Christ was there, ready to hold me, comfort me and help me to heal.


This morning I was able to see a bit more of the Trinity in understanding that it was the Holy Spirit who was ready to comfort me and help me to heal. It was Christ that took the beatings with me. He took even so much more so that when I chose to - I would be healed as well. I realize this is a truth that I have been taught since infancy. It was Mac Powell's 'By His Wounds' being sung during communion this morning that let me see the roles of each person of the Trinity in those moments of my life when there was no God. God the Father sent Christ to be wounded with me and the Comforter waited to heal me in the aftermath.


Church was a bit overwhelming today. (I have come to experience that 'overwhelming' does not only refer to stress or negative emotions - it also refers to gratitude, appreciation, and other such positive emotions.) The realization that the gift of the family that I have found will be a gift that I will be able to rest in and serve from within is so much more than I could have hoped for. There was also the reminder through the sermon of the risen Lazarus that I am living my second chance at life. I have no desire to live attached to the corpse of my past, but I am so often thankful for the gift of today and the fact that I am here to see it. So the prayer goes out for those who were once alive in Christ, but have 'fallen asleep'. I can only guess which are asleep and which are truly dead - but Christ says that it doesn't matter which they are because he has the Father's permission and command to bring both back to life.

1 comment:

S.B.G. said...

I've always been fascinated by dew/raindrops on plants, webs, and more. Great shots~