Saturday, August 12, 2006

prayer on beauty

Mark found this 'Prayer on Beauty' published for teens.

Well, Lord, what happens now
when I have to face up to being plain?


For as long as I can remember
I've been waiting for that magic moment
when suddenly it would hit me
that I was beautiful
that my dull hair was dazzling,
my cloudy eyes radiant,
my pinched smile devastating.

Well, I've had enough of waiting, Lord,
because You've been no fairy godmother
to this modern Cinderella.

I suppose I should be thankful

for the hidden assets You've given me,
but I've already brainwashed myself
into neglecting them as unimportant
while I read the latest beauty hints,
listened to the luring voice of glamour
whispering constantly in my eye,
and prayed to You for a miracle.


All right, Lord, I get the point
that I should start developing
my other gifts as compensation,
but at least give me time
to adapt to being just plain me.


Reprinted from Prayer for the Time Being.


I'm glad that I have made efforts to be developing my other gifts as compensation for being just plain me. - hope I've got enough other gifts to compensate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way too many pictures of your finger kristy!!!!!!

Mark C. said...

This prayer sends a horrible message to models.