Wednesday, March 28, 2007

changing gears

Come Monday I'll be student teaching at Bloomer Junior/High School rather than Boyceville. My cooperating teacher at Boyceville reminded me once that "the students don't like change". I don't know how much any of us like change. I know that I enjoy the challenge of being flexible with and for the students. In this sense I recognize that I need change, but at this point am not certain of my fondness for it. There is much I am looking forward to. The drive is beautiful and enjoyable. There are several sections of the road that remind me of riding in the back of our '75 SAAB 99. (The same car that facilitated an extended visit in Beach, S.D.) Sheryl and I would press the buttons that would control the roller coaster ride that my father provided as he straightened the curves and left our stomachs at the tops of the last hill. It was on the county back roads of Wisconsin that I may have first learned that sudden changes in direction and even altitude can be exhilarating and adventuresome.
I am only hoping that this next shift in direction is exciting and not the alternative - a bit nauseating.

No comments: