Tuesday, October 23, 2007

slippery classroom management

Last week while reading Rascal to the kids I read (or attempted to read)- "Your bread is the best I ever ate." I mixed together the two 'b' words in the sentence and had the class rolling in the aisles. Those who missed the breast slip the first time have all now heard it numerous times from those who were paying attention.

Yesterday I asked the students to complete their workshits, rather than worksheets. Again, half the class were asking their red-faced, giggling neighbors what I had said. I could only follow up by stating that no matter what they thought of their homework, they would still have to do it.

I hope that the students will decide to listen up just to know first-hand why their teacher is changing color. But it may be that they will just disregard what I've got to say as a bit silly, or downright obscene.
For the record, fifth graders find breasts (especially in that sentence) more awkwardly funny than shit.

No comments: