Friday, April 20, 2007

bein' human not always a liability

The days at school that seem to go the best are those days when I am so ridiculously human that we can all only throw up our hands and laugh. My whole aura of 'teacher-who-has-everything-under-control' is usually lost the first day when I stutter through sentences and deliver lines inverted and inside-out. I have also proven that an effective way of distracting the students from the fact that I am trying to remember all their names as I pass out their papers is to walk into desks and chairs and, if possible, trip over things that may or may not be there. Today I was asked to cut up leftover doughnuts into pieces small enough to provide a snack for a class of 20 students. I managed the cutting part of the task successfully - carrying the box of doughnut pieces into the classroom was not so successful. Turns out that the 30 second rule applies to all forms of pastry. (The students were well aware of the fact that I had dropped the doughnuts - there was no uninformed exposure to the possible germs on the floor.)
But for all my slip-ups and ample opportunities to bring smiles to the faces of those who happened to hear what I couldn't quite say - I graded the design class's first quiz/test today, and they have learned something. I can know that they learned more from lecture than the fact that when I was 7 years old I dressed up as Princess Leah (for Halloween) and paraded through town with braided buns on my head. (The link to class was that all the walls painted in colors that advance would make the room seem smaller - like the trash compactor in Star Wars.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always played with the boys at recess from K-1st grade, and we always played Star Wars, and, naturally, I was princess Leah.
Good times.

TWaits said...

I never dressed up as Princess Leah.

K said...

I think there should be a resurgence of dressing up like princess Leah, especially at school- maybe if more of us would dress up like Princess Leah, more kids would want to come to school.

S.B.G. said...

I'm glad to hear you didn't dress up as Princess Leah twaits..um...really glad I might add!