Tuesday, January 02, 2007

mouse boogers and humble pigs

This is my Birthday card from Sheryl, Mark, Brook and Guinness:

We laughed out loud.

It has been a wonderful birthday. My canker sore is finally healing. I got to wear my favorite socks. My cross stitch bird looks like a bird. (kinda) I got to watch Charlotte's Web with Sheryl, Mark and Brook and to be with Brook a little more before she flies home. I went to Michael's craft store and didn't spend a lot of money. But I did get 2 calendars for $.50 a piece - there are lots of things I can do with calendars... I have bookmarks for each of the books that I have started and not finished! - this way I at least do not have to reread what I had started, so some time is not wasted. I got to start listening to Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Nearly Everything, which, it turns out, is 'my kind of book'. - full of fun facts and party trivia. (I'm not sure why I don't party much...)

The night before last I developed a bit of a life plan (it bein' the new year and all) for the next three years. (I graduate this spring - attention deficit or not) This plan is certainly not set in stone, but is productive and will be good for helping me to get to wherever it is that I am going. I can only hope that when I get to where I'm going, there are days like today.


"Space curves in a way that allows it to be boundless but finite. Space cannot even properly be said to be expanding because as the physicist and Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg notes, "solar systems and galaxies are not expanding, and space itself is not expanding." Rather the galaxies are rushing apart. It is all something of a challenge to intuition." p 17 A Short History

I suppose something a akin to the pool balls rushing apart but the table is not expanding - except there is no 'table' because without the boundaries that are defined by the playing surface for the balls - there simply is no table - or universe - or galaxies - beyond where the expansion has already occurred. As a science dives further into itself, the trinity is not so strange sounding. It seems that we will be able to 'prove' the other dimensions more sooner than later - then what are we to do with the possibilities of life within our own planet? Perhaps heaven is a place on earth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didja git my "Hippo birdie, two ewe" serenade on your phone? I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you on your b-day. God bless.

Mark C. said...

So really, it doesn't do much good to replace galaxies with pool balls in an analogy. Especially if the pool balls are not on a table but are rushing apart in space just like the galaxies.