Friday, September 01, 2006

pink frogs and high chair monkeys

Today I got to work in the 'baby room' at the day care. Two summers ago I worked primarily in the baby room. There were four babies born within 2 months of each other. They all learned to sit, crawl (one chose to scoot), and walk at very much the same time. That class will now soon be graduating to the 3-year-old room. They are potty trained and communicate quite efficiently in verbal English. They communicated quite efficiently when they were babies as well, but it wasn't in English.
Isabella's verbal skills have always been good. She told me once that when you cook a frog you can tell it is done when it turns pink. Her favorite color has been green from about 18 months old, perhaps cooked frogs are not then as appealing as live ones. One afternoon, Bella's advanced communication skills contributed to a bit of a squabble in the buggy. (We have a 6-seater buggy for the infants thru two-year-olds.) We all went walking and I asked all the kids in the buggy if they would like to go back to the day care or over to the park. Isabella enthusiastically replied 'Park!' Another girl, younger than Bella, equally enthusiastically answered 'No!' unbeknownst to Bella, the younger girl was not in actuality arguing with Bella or stating that she didn't desire to go the park - she was only verbalizing one of the only words that she knew well. What she clearing communicated was her enthusiasm and interest in answering the question and contributing to the conversation. Bella yelled back 'Park', to which hearty 'No!' was returned and on we went - to the park.
Kamden would climb anything in the baby room - he has always been a strong boy. Once (while I was sitting across the room feeding another infant) he pulled himself to standing on the high chair. He then grabbed the tray and did a full chin up while I panicked on the other side of the room. I was sure if I ran he would startle and fall. After checking the tray top, he lowered himself much more slowly and calmly than my heart rate did. Today I came outside holding an infant and Kamden came running and said 'Watch me'. He then ran up the side of the geodome, turned around on the bar, and jumped off. I couldn't resist the standard line, 'Be careful', but I have always wondered why adults think this statement will change the behavior of a child. Today was Kamden's last day. I don't feel ready to miss seeing the heights he will climb to, although it has been a blessing to witness those he has conquered.

No comments: