Sunday, September 03, 2006

controlled 'pest', more effort

The mouse, Bimquist Greystone, has been living with us for 3 days now. Yesterday I brought home kitten formula for him which was supposed to help with the diarrhea that had started Friday afternoon. When I took him out and set him on the bathroom rug to feed him the new formula he ran under the sink counter cabinet. There is no access to 'under the bathroom counter', there also is no exit. As his tail disappeared beneath the 1/2 inch gap, I thought 'You've got to be kidding' and 'Hey, you move pretty well' simultaneously. My pride in his demonstrated vigor evaporated as I ran to get something to sweep under the gap. I could not swipe him out with a dowel, carpenter ruler or yard stick. I was concerned that blindly poking at him with sticks could break a leg or in some way hurt him. Lying on the bathroom floor using the smallest flash light we have for light - I could periodically see his feet in amongst the Japanese beetle shells. With both Dad and I lying on the floor we could see his feet more suredly. After locating him and with greater accuracy performing a stick swipe to remove him, he made a horrid discovery. He could crawl up on a piece of particle board that serves as the base of the counter unit and be clear of the removal sticks. With him sitting on that 'ledge', there was no way for me to get him out. I tried a bent wire hanger with a rag tied on the end and then knew that this would be it. (and it wouldn't smell good.) But as it turns out, fathers can remove barriers that are otherwise impassable. Thirty seconds with a jigsaw and a 6"X6" hole provided the necessary access to the (unbeknownst-to-him) doomed mouse. Now Bimquist is no longer allowed to sit on the bathroom floor for his feeding and/or bath time. But he seems to be adjusting to his new formula and his eyes should be opening shortly. I have never felt so relieved to see a mouse as when Dad pulled him from under my freshly remodeled bathroom cabinet. It is good that I will be able to clean the beetle and cricket bits and pieces from beneath the cabinet.

No comments: