Saturday, February 03, 2007

Swallowing Kyoto

This is an ad posted in Christianity Today. I haven't pitched my tent on either side of the global warming/ human responsibility issue and I don't expect I will any time soon. I know it was just released that humans are most likely the cause of global warming - but I don't question the human contribution. There are a multitude of positive feedback mechanisms in place that are furthering carbon dioxide release into the atmosphere. (decreased albedo, increase in amount of water the air will hold (also increases greenhouse effect), carbon dioxide released from perma frost, increase in rainfall) Coupled with exponential population growth I don't see how any one could taut the theory that we can curb the carbon dioxide levels. The charts that are used to correlate the relationship between the industrial era and carbon dioxide levels also mirror the world's population. I suppose the response to this ad could be that there would be no reason to provide the world with clean drinking water if the world is going to be under water. This ad states that the answers to environmental pollution are in technological advancements. These technological advancements require wealth, which is why the United States could be a key player in addressing environmental issues. Rather than being the fat, rich nation that is the selfishly perched on the backs of the world's poor, the US has the opportunity to use its resources to attack these problems. But sadly we think we are a democratic country and if the people don't care -- policy and government won't either. If this is a part of a warming and cooling cycle that is natural, there is still no guarantee that this natural cycle will be a good thing for the human race. I thought it was interesting to think that an organism will often heat up (a fever is induced) to kill off a harmful bacteria. If the earth is viewed as an organism - what would be the bacteria? I don't doubt that the lump of rock that is our planet will survive this next millennium, perhaps scarred, but still in existence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like what you said about the earth having a fever. It makes sense to me.